Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Nerd Moment

Meet Zachary Levi, actor and singer extraordinaire! His talent in front of the camera is most widely known as 'Chuck Bartowski' on NBC's Chuck, while his musical talent has been featured in the most recent Disney movie Tangled along side Mandy Moore. However neither of those wonderful things are the reason that I chose to write about him. 


Perhaps a lesser known fact about Mr. Levi is that he is a Christian. In fact in an interview with Relevant Magazine he said, "My job on my set, I believe, is to first just love people and gain that trust with people where they know that I really do love them and care about their well-being, so that when they are running into problems, they will hopefully, at some point, come to me and ask me, 'What is your peace all about? What is your comfort all about? Where do you get your love? Where do you get your talents?' And I can turn to them and say without blinking, Jesus Christ." 


Now bare with me as I get a little spiritual and nerdy on you! As a Christian, I often wonder how many people that I see on television or the big screen or who have been labeled with a celebrity status for some other reason have a relationship with God. I can't help it. I look at them with a child-like wonder and every now and then find myself asking (inaudibly) if I will meet them in Heaven and then I go on to fantasize about how cool that would be! On one hand that sounds absolutely ridiculous, it's like I'm five again and wondering which Disney characters I will see at Disneyland. Yet, it also shows (in what some would call a strange way) that the child in me still wants/needs that certain "Disney magic". Actors and actresses like Zachary are people that I find myself looking up to for their talent and mastery of the craft. It seems as though just when we (as the public) thought that the arts of acting and cinematography couldn't get any better it finds a way to outdo itself. It's one of the things that keeps me asking for more, knowing that the entertainment industry as a whole hasn't run out of tricks! 


Now back to Zachary being a Christian. I wouldn't and don't respect any actor, actress, writer, director, producer, costume designer, makeup artist, or anyone else less for their religious preferences. I believe that everyone believes in something and I believe that if I truly want to be like Christ then I love that person no matter what and leave the rest to Him. However, knowing that Zachary Levi is a Christian is being the cherry on top of a very delicious sundae, something that being a Christian myself I appreciate on a whole separate level. 

No comments:

Post a Comment