Wednesday, October 27, 2010

You Have To Ask Yourself Why You're Doing It

It's always easier to point the finger, to blame someone else for things not going the way that you want to. You can always claim that it's not their life so what right do they have, and that's true. But I can promise you that the hardest thing to do is be honest with someone when you know they aren't going to want to hear it. The true test of someone's character doesn't come when they prove they can hide the truth for the sake of keeping all feathers unruffled. It comes when they stand on the side of truth even if they stand alone. And  you can hate it. You can fight it. You can tell them they have no idea what they're talking about or that they are making a mistake. You can turn around and walk away and never look back. But why did you do it? Were they really wrong? Or were they right and you just couldn't bring yourself to admit it? 


I have lost friends in telling them the truth. I don't like that walking away is the easy response, but it won't change what I do. I don't tell someone the truth to ruin their fun or to be right, I tell them because I respect them that much. They matter so much to me that I will risk the relationship we have just to make sure that they can never say they didn't hear it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment