Saturday, August 14, 2010

Nap Time


Ever watch a baby sleep? Count how many times their chest rises and falls until you count so high that you forgot what number you were on? Ever think about how you wish they could just stay as peaceful when they’re awake as when they are sleeping, and not for your sake, but because life is easier when it leaves you uninterrupted? The world, the life, of someone seems easier while they’re sleeping, they aren’t angry or nervous or sad; they’re content. They’re savoring the moment and you do whatever necessary to make sure that moment lasts as long as possible. Yet, somehow, as you watch them live through the next few hours of their lives unaffected by life’s ups and downs a small twinge of jealousy comes over you. You wish that you too could steal away for a few hours while the world spins madly on and simply let it all go. You want to have that same look the baby does while they sleep, they have not one care in the world. As we get older we learn that sleep doesn’t change what’s going on in our lives, it simply has the ability to help change our perspective on the challenges that lay in wait for us.
I am not sure that I have a point to this, but here is why I am writing it:
I know the burdens that life can present. I am familiar with the enormity of the weight they can place on your shoulders and your heart. I have stress, frustration, judgment, and a slew of other emotions/responses in my character speed dial that I call on all too frequently. I am on a first name basis with the overwhelming feeling that keeps you awake at night and I often wish that I could make it all go away. I too have looked upon that baby in envy, wishing that I had it so easy. But this afternoon I realized something. As adults we have those moments too, the ones that wash all the worry right out of our faces. Moments like holding your child for the first time after nine long months of anticipation, sitting with friends at a coffee shop, or doing something completely stupid that makes you laugh until you cry. Moments like sitting around a camp fire making smores, watching the sunrise, or catching an afternoon nap. That carefree, worry-free, stress-free look that we envy in the face of a child and so rarely see in the face of an adult is possible, and for most of us probably happens more often then we think.
As I am writing this my best friend is laying next to me sleeping, as she has been for hours. And if someone were to ask her why she napped all afternoon she would probably explain how she has had little sleep over the last few days and her body needed it, which would be true. But as I try not to wake her with my typing (and when she reads this she will be sure to let me know if I succeeded) I can’t help but do two things. First, smile. Because she gets that same carefree look on her face and I envy it just as much on her as I do the baby. Secondly, I can’t help but think that maybe there’s more to a nap then simply rebooting the body. Maybe a nap is one of God’s ways of telling us, “Hey baby, you aren’t supposed to carry the weight of the world on your shoulders, that’s My job. Rest these next few hours of your life and let Me deal with your cares.” God doesn’t want us to nap our lives away, but He doesn’t want us to worry them away either.
Maybe I should try to nap now?! I could use a few carefree hours. 

2 comments:

  1. Yay! I have been patiently waiting for your words.....was so relieved when i opened my bookmarked page to see them!! As always, beautifully written - love the 'lesson learned'..... What a perfect perspective on sleeping! :) xo

    ReplyDelete