Sunday, April 17, 2011

Hunger Games, Catching Fire, Mockingjay

"I'll tell them how I survive it. I'll tell them that on bad mornings, it feels so impossible to take pleasure in anything because I'm afraid it could be taken away. That's when I make a list in my head of every act of goodness I've seen someone do. It's like a game. Repetitive. Even a little tedious after more than twenty years. But there are much worse games to play." 

Suzanne Collins was riveting in her word choice, aggravating with the number of twists in the plot, and solid with her final words. If you have not yet read Hunger Games or its sequels then I urge you to pick it up soon. Being someone who likes to stay ahead of the characters in the story, having the advantage of knowing all the sides in being the reader, I was both frustrated and captivated by the fact that I never seemed to figure out which direction Suzanne was writing for or where she was going in the pages to come. There were moments of sheer intensity so well articulated that it made my skin crawl and other moments were so intimate I felt as though I should not be present for such a time. Mrs. Collins also displays impeccable timing, inserting the most sincere comments during the moments when the adrenaline is pumping that reminds there was a life before everything began to unravel. My only hope is that as the written word is translated onto the big screen that the emotions Collins so easily stirs are not lost. 

No comments:

Post a Comment