Friday, December 31, 2010

Eyes Wide Open

They say that love is blind, but I disagree, at least when it comes to real love I do. Christ didn't come with a message of blind love. He did not ignore the faults or mistakes of those He spent His time with, in fact those were often the things that He addressed first. 


This past year has had numerous challenges, and within each challenge has been an invaluable lesson. The lesson that I have come to appreciate most is loving someone with my eyes wide open. It's one thing to love someone without ever really knowing them, it's quite different to love someone knowing all of who they are. It's something that God can do in a matter of minutes, He can see all of who you are and love you anyway. We are not God, and He knows that, that's why He has designed it that we learn to love all of someone in small doses. The durations of the journeys are significantly different, but the desired end result is the same.


"A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." -John 13:34-35


I would never wish that anyone love another blindly. There is nothing more rewarding or powerful then being able to say that your actions come from a pure, wide-eyed love and you didn't need another reason. Christ hung on the cross because His love for us was that immense and His eyes weren't closed to the depths to which we are capable of falling. If I want to emulate anything from Christ, I want that to be it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment