Friday, August 20, 2010

Moving For Something Great

I moved to Los Angeles this past February and I lost count of how many times I was asked the question, "Why are you moving?". I had this readied list of reasons why I was moving and what I was setting out to do. All of those reasons pointed towards something great. All of those reasons were backed with commitment and passion and excitement. But now all of those reasons are sitting back seat to one big reason, one reason that I never gave anyone, one reason that's taken me seven months to see clearly. 


I set out on a journey to do something great, to change the world with my passion for both music and writing. I had visions of revival in Hollywood and at the Grammy's. I had a mental list of A-Listers I was determined to work with. My face and name were going to be everywhere. I still have these dreams, and they still excite me. I won't stop dreaming big, it keeps life exciting, but my focused has shifted slightly. Instead of changing the world, I'm changing MY world, MY little corner of South Pasadena, MY friends, MY family. 


I set out on a mission to do something great, and as usual, what I thought greatness looked like is very different from the greatness that God had in mind. He doesn't want me to become famous first and then tell the world about Him, He wants me to tell the world about Him even now. I don't need a billboard on the side of the freeway to do that (although that would be cool). When I compare our ideas of greatness with an open mind it doesn't take me long to realize that His road to greatness matters more to me then my own does. While I would love to see a Grammy show turn into this incredible healing and worship time I would love to see MY family come to Christ more. And while I would love for Hollywood to regain (if it ever had it to begin with) a moral compass I would rather see that change in MY family. 


I set out to do something great, and I thought that by not coming anywhere close to accomplishing (yet) the things I told my friends and family I was going to meant that I was failing. But I'm not. The greatness that I truly want is the kind that will out last the billboard long after the color has faded and can't be found amongst the company of A-Listers. Why I moved and what I'm doing are different, but what I'm doing is better.

No comments:

Post a Comment