Monday, January 18, 2010

Couldn't Have Said it Better Myself

I started reading "The Secret Life of Bees" last night. They say the best writers never stop reading and I suppose that's true, because can you really create something worth the appreciation of others if you yourself have never learned to appreciate it? I love to write, but fell in love with the written word through reading it. And I pray the day never comes where my love for it ceases. Do you ever find that in reading a book the author has pulled a piece  of your life into the story they're telling? You read one sentence or a short phrase and thought that they've explained a part of your soul better then you ever could? I've read through the first three chapters and here are a few things Sue Monk Kidd said better than I ever would have.

"The way those bees flew, not even looking for a flower, just flying for the feel of the wind, split my heart down to it's seam."

"People who think dying is the worst thing don't know a thing about life."

"This is what I know about myself. She was all I wanted. And I took her away."

"I felt half the time I was impersonating a girl instead of really being one."

"You put his brain in a bird and the bird would fly backward."

"The sound had torn through the room and gouged out our hearts."

"I wanted to lie down in the orchard and let it hold me."

"When the night hit my face I felt like laughing."

"...and that was the strangeness of it, how a small sound like that could fall across the whole world."

That may seem like an extensive list for only three chapters but I've come to find that if it speaks to you then let it speak for you. You don't have to try to put it into your own words. As a writer we love to tell the story that no one else can.

No comments:

Post a Comment